Like to join?       
Start Here

Home     Forum     Roster     Downloads     Skins  

352nd Fighter Group Headquarters

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting back into harness  (Read 81 times)

JJMcGarvey

• Command Staff
Getting back into harness
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »

Hey Guys,
I might be back

I finally got most of my financial accounts into proper order and can start into making my will and things like that. It is hard to believe that it took 5 months to do something that I thought would take 2 weeks. I had my car in the shop for close to a week and finally got it back.
I think that is what has triggered me into starting to pick up and get moving into life on a full time basis again. I began thinking about watching my unviewed Harry Potter dvds. I never watched them because my wife didn’t like that sort of thing. Well now I will probably be watching them myself and I only have to please myself. I began to think about EAW and I decided to start checking that out. I have 2 computers that have Win XP for the operating system but XP is fast being excluded from Internet services. The 3rd computer has Win 7 on it but we will get to that later. I tried EAW on the 2 XP systems and all of the install worked OK on the oldest but on my main computer the opening selection screens only showed the top half of the screens. As I puzzled over this, it began to come back to me that I had a problem with a Blue Screen of Death situation. I had thought that the cause might be an overheating video card and I had replaced the Gforce Nvidia 52oo with a Gforce 6200. That is when things began to fall apart with my wife. I have come to a suspicion that the problem is in the ‘D’ drive CD /DVD reader. I replaced the original video card and things seem to be OK as far as EAW is concerned on those 2 systems. I am going to hook up the Win 7 system and see about getting the OS registered with MicroSoft and then getting a working Teamspeak install. The EAW screens are a bit garbled but the game seems to run as far as I can remember. I will try to keep in regulat touch as I progress.

JackSprat

I hooked up the win 7 system. I looked at the product key that I copied. I made a mistake and wrote down 8 instead of B. That may be why it rejected the install. I am now getting a low system battery warning. I will have to find the battery and buy and install a new one. This screws up your time clock and date system. My # 2 son had this and I took the computer that he was going to throw out and it was a big jump up from what is now the odd computer. I will try to find the computer manual on line

I had to put in a new install of Win 7  I am typing this in that new install. I lost all of my previously installed programs on this comp. I will give the details later
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:12:56 PM by JJMcGarvey »
Jacksprat ..AKA... J.J. McGarvey

THE BEST IS YET TO COME

dBeav

• Secretarial Pool
    • Yankee Air Museum
Re: Getting back into harness
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »

Good to see you back at it Jack!

JJMcGarvey

• Command Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »

Hey Guys,

Well, I have made some progress but I am nowhere near where I want to be. I think that I will reexamine my priorities and take another approach. With my Dell XP system, I have gotten another DVD drive and I will replace that and see what happens to the Blue screen problem. I get it a lot less if I don’t leave a CD in it. Anyway it runs all versions of EAW fine. My problem there is that Teamspeak will no longer run on XP. I need something with WIN 7 or WIN 10 on it to put Teamspeak on.

The computer that I was trying to install WIN 7 on is a Dell OPTIPLEX 755 which uses Low Profile Cards in the slots. When I tried to run that again, I had all sorts of problems. I had installed Win 7 on it bur it was not registered / authorized. I think that when the time ran out, it self-destructed. I tried to use the WIN 7 CD to repair and I ended up with a partition and a second install of WIN 7. When I finished the install, I tried to register it and was informed that this install exceeded the limit for this CD. I got gypped when I bought this Win 7 CD. This install will work for 30 days and then fail. I tried out the video card that I bought and it is garbled all the time. That makes 2 strikes on that computer.

Here is the heart of the problem. I need a new operating system because I am getting locked out a lot of internet activities and that situation is only going to get worse. I can continue to use my DELL XP for EAW. They have a lot of newer computers with Win 7 or WIN 10 installed for less money than buying the operating system from Microsoft. The only problem then is in getting a video card that handles EAW correctly. That seems to be a very tricky situation on a case-by-case basis. In the meantime, I could probably get by flying the DELL XP and using the new comp. to communicate with Teamspeak.
    The way things have been going or not going, the 352FG has not been very active of late. I may get fully back into action but I have the feeling that I will be the only bird flying in the flock.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions or advice about Win7 versus Win 10 , what are the most desirable systems and video cards for EAW. This is the kind of situation where I was always in AWE about how much Dumo used to know about the Internet, computers and EAW. He was a wizard, I miss him!
    As things now stand, I think that I am leaning towards WIN 10 because there was so much that was not quite right about WIN 7.

JACK is BACK

THE BEST IS YET TO COME

MarkEAW

• Guests
    • European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 11:15:09 PM »

Hi Jack,

I'm sure we been over this before somewhere on these EAW forums. But your best to go with the newest hardware you can and put win10 on it.
EAW runs, but still wrappers look like they need to be used , even with win 10. You may prefer Glide mode with nGlide, since thats proven and the least hassle.

I have not tested the latests updates of Win10 with EAW and or with wrappers lately, So I don't know if theres any improvements.

There where other wrappers, some players use DXWND and run nGlide through that, yes they are doubling up on wrappers, but the game still runs better in their case.

I can't really help here, but I'll try since I haven't been using EAW in a few months. Don't forget my EAW Help Site.

European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
https://eaw.neocities.org/

Jel

• Guests
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 12:31:52 PM »

I am not convinced about Win10 and DXWnd because I think that the displayed FPS figures are exaggerated. Just now I have put my Win 7 HDD in the caddy and tested the 160 conversion of Modreds AoE.
In Win 7 I use the d3dwindower for offline play and get good results. Without it I get garbled map screens. For online play I do not use a wrapper as there is no problem with the screens used in multiplayer, and the framerates are great.

;) Jel

JJMcGarvey

• Command Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »

Hello Mrs Jelly & Mark,

Thanks a lot for the rapid replies. I get a little better grasp of my situation each time that I go over things. My Wife’s departure seems to be a watershed in my life and all the events previous to that seem to be far in the past and don’t automatically pop up in my memory.
    I will try to keep you informed of what I am trying to do and what results I get. I went to install the replacement CD drive that I got and I found to my surprise that while the Hard Drive is a sata device, the 2 CD drives are IDE devices. I put everything back in a closed the case. I ordered a IDE to SATA adaptor but It will be shipped from China and I will have to live with the Blue Screen situation as it is for a while.
   My present thoughts are that it is much cheaper to buy a relatively new used computer with WIN 7/10 already installed than to be buying new window software. I have no need to try to be on any sort of cutting edge technology. I will probably be ordering another Computer on E-bay shortly and I will be merging that into my family of computers. When I am satified that I have it into good shape I will start trying to get functioning EAW installs going on it. I am sure that will involve getting a Video card. That is an area that I am really out of date in. I am hoping that I can get a few suggestions concerning what works and what to stay away from.
    I noticed that Mr Jelly is using the Caddy system. I used that on my obsolete system and I really liked it. I have a device for cloning drives (Sata) . I will get a Sata Caddy system and install that and I won’t have to worry about buying new copies of an operating system. I am assuming that all of the systems sold in the past few years use the Sata format. I am retired and while I am not pinched for money, I make it a point to live within my means. That translates to mean that I am rather cheap when it comes to parting with my money.
    It is time for me to start cooking my dinner. Tuesday evenings are my meeting nights at my Model RR Club.

http://www.abingtonlines.org/

Thanks for your help

Jack McGarvey

THE BEST IS YET TO COME

MarkEAW

• Guests
    • European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »

@Jel,
DXWND. I forgot about the problem with it, I should have re-read what i noted about it on my site. I think the frames are up there, it just jitters the planes, like lag alittle bit. But noticeable enough that I abandoned it at last tests.

@Jack
Good luck, Ive seen your other post as well.
European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
https://eaw.neocities.org/

JJMcGarvey

• Command Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 06:31:01 PM »

Hey Mark,
After I cloned the original hard drive for my Optiplex, I tested the clone out and I tried EAW via Dxwin. I didn't have the joystick connected so i used instant mission.I was wondering about the planes jumping around. I forgot that EAW did run on this system,

THE BEST IS YET TO COME
Pages: [1]   Go Up