Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SORRY  (Read 165 times)

JJMcGarvey

• Command Staff
SORRY
« on: July 12, 2021, 09:34:24 PM »

Hello All!
    Today I got an E-Mail from Mark asking how I was doing. I felt ashamed because I had seen a lot of postings on the site that I should have recognized by answering but I let the opportunities pass by. 
    I will apologize for my rudeness and bad manners. I am sorry for not showing my appreciation for the kindness that all of you have displayed to me. In a few weeks, I will have my 86th birthday. In a few weeks after that it will be the 3rd university of my wife’s death. These events do not excuse my failures but perhaps they might put my behavior in a more understandable perspective. My wife was a very efficient person and her abilities allowed me a lot of free time to behave in an unorganized manner. Time has a way of degrading talents and skills if you do not keep yourself in practice. I have not created any disasters in the past 3 years but I very defiantly lack good work habits and organizing abilities.

SO! I still lack personal efficiency talents but I have been very careful about watching my emotional, psychological and physical health. Along those lines, it is now getting towards the time for me to close up and prepare for bed. Perhaps I will continue a little bit more tomorrow.

Jack
Jacksprat ..AKA... J.J. McGarvey

THE BEST IS YET TO COME

MarkEAW

• Guests
    • European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
Re: SORRY
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 11:45:51 PM »

Is that it Jack?  8)
Good to hear from you!

What do you think of GoG finally posting EAW for sale? (It did boost things for a short time, at least until...)

European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
https://eaw.neocities.org/

JJMcGarvey

• Command Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »

Hello Mark,
    Well, you gave me a good poke and woke me up. In the process of waking up, I upset a can of worms and the little critters were all over the place. It seems like I got most of them back into the can but a lot of them still have to be handled.
    I did download the ‘GOG EAW’. It was a bit of a complicated process but I finally found where in my computer the actual game was located. Now the problem was how to test it out. That is a problem because I haven’t flown EAW in over a year. I was now in a “ LIFT YOURSELF UP BY YOUR OWN BOOTSTRAPS” sort of situation. I have 2 desktop computers. Main computer is a HP win10 system, the other is a Dell WinXP system. I recently had a monitor die and I ended up installing 2 new (used) dell monitors. I just found out that on the XP system, the monitor does not allow the EAW installs to run because of resolution issues. I will have to switch the monitors to determine if the problem stays with the monitor. I will probably replace that monitor if that is the case. On the Win 10 system, I have the following EAW installs working, EAW v1.2 , EAW ‘GOG’, EAW v128a, EAW v128e and EAW v150. I seem to have install files for EAW v160 but I haven’t found any working install for it. I had been surprised when I first discovered that my original EAW v1.2 install worked fine under Win 10. The little sweet visuals ( movies, plane views etc) don’t work on EAW v1.2 but they seem to run fine on EAW ‘GOG’. The big question on my mind was, will EAW ‘GOG’ allow me to install add-on’s? What I found was that the OAW Selector128v70L and the OAW add-on files from EAW v1.2 worked just fine together. The other OAW selectors and the new multi plane HI RES files from 128 installs caused problems. That is the result of my first use of the GOG version. I don’t see any reason to prefer one over the other at this stage. What it says about the various taboos and myths involved with the sacred secret source code from Atari, is another story entirely.
    So! I have returned to flying status and hopefully I will start to practice on a regular basis and reacquire some of my original meager skills. I hope also to return to regular posting on this site.
    Other thoughts! The SIM-HQ site is sort of trashy with all of the ads and pop-ups. The GOG forum site is very obscure. I just went through some postings and it looks like the EAW GOG version that I downloaded is probably the EAW v1.2 version. I have no intentions of getting involved with all sorts of exotic variations. I just downloaded another one of Jellies File Managers. I think it might be handy to have some other kind of system,

Jack
Jacksprat ..AKA... J.J. McGarvey

THE BEST IS YET TO COME

MarkEAW

• Guests
    • European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 05:28:21 PM »

Well thats good to hear.
Yes the GoG 1.2 (or if you have it 1.28 I think it was) works with all the fog and high frames per second. They (Gog or Retroism) hacked in some updates to DirectX. The big draw back is 800x600 is the wide view, unlike in 128 its 1024x768.

I did see at simhq that mrjelly and them released an expansion or addon for the gog installation. I guess its the old OAW but produced new again. (again so I think he had the old frontend src and updated it). I don't know where to get it though over there, just look for it or ask.

It did at last look have the GoG 128 eaw.exe in it as a patch to the now 1.2 gog as an alternative.

But You seem to be on your way.
Well hope your other issues with the monitor is solved. :)

European Air War Help Site (EAWHS)
https://eaw.neocities.org/

Jel

• Guests
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »

Good to hear Jack. I am a bit behind you but I will turn 80 later this year ;)

The short history of the GoG release is that they inadvertently released their version of our 1.28 release. We received an apology, and the initial release was replaced by their version of 1.2.
So what you get is 1.2 with some graphics additions that make it run well on a modern PC. However, the multiplayer aspect is the old woeful 1.2 version, there is no gun convergence, frame rate display or any of the things that we added to our 1.28 release which were included in their initial release. Essentially it is a nostalgia trip, which is the entire purpose of their site.

As they are not interested in providing expansions, I made a release with a modified version of EAW set up so that players could easily select different theatres. I also included their original 1.28 exe in an OAW "E-" folder.

This is my post at SimHQ:

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4561875/patch-for-owners-of-the-gog-release-of-eaw#Post4561875

Cheers

Tony

dBeav

• Secretarial Pool
    • Yankee Air Museum
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 04:14:26 PM »

Happy Birthday Jack!

Spitty

• Pilots
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 11:54:57 PM »